Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 10:25:42 +0000

Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 17:05:19 -0500
>>> Cc: rms@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> This was with 28.1 modified to support dumping with many pre-loaded
>>> native-compiled files.
>>
>> I asked because Emacs 29 adds some changes specifically intended to
>> solve the problem of infinite recursion in trampoline compilation.
>>
>>> As far as I know, emacs still doesn't support dumping arbitrary
>>> native-compiled libraries at compile-time.
>>
>> What problems do you see if you try?  AFAIR, if you tweak
>> native-comp-eln-load-path so that the *.eln files you want to dump are
>> directed to the ../native-lisp directory relative to where the Emacs
>> binary lives, then dump Emacs, loading such a dumped Emacs should
>> work.
>>
>> Andrea, am I missing something?
>
> I think he might be talking about re-dumping Emacs?
>
> Otherwise no, I'm not aware of anything you are missing.  We can dump
> any library we want just loading it before the dump (we modified the
> list of dumped libraries just doing this many times in the last two
> years).

To be more precise: with native-comp we should be able to dump any
library we are capable of dumping with a non native comp Emacs.  There
are for instance lisp objects we still don't know how to dump (at least
it was the case till a while ago), there there are probably other edges
to be rounded, but they should be non native comp specific.

Regards

  Andrea