Re: tree-sitter: conceptional problem solvable at Emacs' level?

From: Holger Schurig
Subject: Re: tree-sitter: conceptional problem solvable at Emacs' level?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 07:41:57 +0000

> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-cpp/issues/85

>From January 2021

Inconclusive.

> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-cpp/issues/40

>From June 2019

Speaks about regenerating the parser based on environment variabled.
That means you'll have to have the whole NPM toolchain installed.

Final suggestion is replacing things with spaces before feeding the data to
tree-sitter. That would keep offsets intact.

> https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-cpp/issues/146

>From January 2022

Points to alternate parsers for C++ dialects, here for OpenFOAM code.

Given that these bugs are sitting there for sometimes years, I can
conclude that the tree-sitter project doesn't care at all. Or lacks
the manpower. Or assigns it differently. Or that the core developers of
it have different itches to scratch.

Whatever the reason, I wouldn't hold my breath that anything changes on
their side soon.

The last idea from their bug 40 sounds like it could be implemented on
Emacs side.