Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Request to backport fix for CVE-2022-45939 to Emacs 28
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:05:14 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: theophilusx@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 23:47:57 -0500
>
>   > The whole process takes a non-trivial amount of work.  It is described
>   > in make-tarball.txt.  If someone wants to do it, they are welcome.
>
> The steps all need to be done, but what makes them nontrivial is that
> normally some of them will run into snags that require nontrivial
> corrections.
>
> Maybe it would be good to do this in a Shell buffer and save the
> typescript, so a more experienced persion can verify it was done
> right.

That's not the main aspect that makes this nontrivial.  Many steps
described in make-tarball.txt require that a human eyeballs the
results of some commands and/or messages from some commands, and fixes
any problems that need fixing.  The process of examining and the
decision which ones are "worth fixing" is what takes time and effort,
and logging what was done in one case makes the next one no easier.

Another non-trivial part is updating the manuals on the Web site.  The
procedure we use for building the manuals is very fragile and tends to
break with every new Texinfo release.

Anyway, this is all moot point now, since Stefan Kangas already did
the job (for which I thank him again).