Re: Android port

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:05:15 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arsen Arsenović <arsen@aarsen.me> writes:
>
>> Hi Po,
>>
>> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks.  The make depends thing is supposed to be done by javac
>>> internally, and it should scan through source files in
>>> org/gnu/emacs to find missing definitions.
>>
>> I believe it only scans through source files listed on the command line
>> and through the classpath.
>
> org/gnu/emacs is in the classpath.

Yes, and the sourcepath too, but I don't think the sources in those
paths are re-parsed to grab class definitions on each build, which is
where the problem stems for, but are instead parsed on an as needed
basis, with the classes available being presumed to map 1-to-1 to the
list of .java files in the sourcepath.

>> Yes, I believe this is the proper fix.  I was getting a bunch of other
>> errors in similar vein after fixing the one above, except even stranger,
>> so I suspect javac is quite bad at parallelizing.  The group build you
>> pushed earlier should alleviate that at a slight hit to compile speed
>> (which I doubt it's major enough to warrant build-time instability).
>
> Thanks for finding this bug in javac.

Sure, if you end up reporting it, please keep me posted.  I'm curious
about what the intended behavior here is.

Thanks.
--
Arsen Arsenović