Re: Eglot "inlay hints" landed

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot "inlay hints" landed
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:03:20 +0000

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 7:54 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Reproduced.  Easy enough to fix with window-configuration-change-functions.
> > I pushed a fix.
>
> My point is that using jit-lock machinery, you will never miss an
> update, because redisplay is very good at knowing when something needs
> to be redrawn.  It has to.

Sure, I agree there.

> By contrast, all those hooks are less
> reliable, and also make Emacs sluggish, because the hooks are many
> times triggered when there's nothing to do wrt display.

It remains to be seen whether this is more or less sluggish than the jit-lock
version, because at least the naive jit-lock version is making lots of
requests over to the process.  In TRAMP scenarios or networking
scenarios, this may be slow.  So I'm am focusing on finding the best solution
but it's not immediately obvious that jit is always best, because of the fixed
overhead (in this case LSP comms), which doesn't exist in the use cases
jit-lock was designed for.

João