Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?

From: Matthias Meulien
Subject: Re: Should yaml-ts-mode inherit from prog-mode?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:28:41 +0100

Simple precision: I am not the author of the quoted text.

Matthias

Le mar. 7 mars 2023, 12:27, Jostein Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net> a écrit :
Matthias Meulien [2023-03-01 08:46 +0100] wrote:

      Emacs 29 introduces a toml-ts-mode based on

text-mode.  I'm not sure how intentional/desirable that is, so at risk
of blowing this thread out of proportion I'm copying in Jostein as well.

Thanks,

Hey.

Author of toml-ts-mode here.

I originally implemented it as a prog-mode derived mode (because for the same reasons as reiterated above, that made sense to me).

I was however asked by the more senior Emacs maintainers to make it text-mode instead.

So while it was not my decision, I'd just like to point out that there was a decision-making process involved when text-mode was decided.

If someone were to change this back to prog-mode before we ship Emacs 29, I would have no objections to that, but I have no authority to mandate such a change either :)

--
Jostein