Re: emacs-29 3c1693d08b0: Fix Elisp code injection vulnerability in emac

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 3c1693d08b0: Fix Elisp code injection vulnerability in emacsclient-mail.desktop
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 19:41:58 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  ulm@gentoo.org,  luangruo@yahoo.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 18:20:14 +0100

>     Jim> In bug#57752, we'd discussed adding --apply to emacs and emacsclient,
>     Jim> which might work better for this case, as well as to make other
>     Jim> similar cases easier: Org mode uses some pretty extensive hacks in
>     Jim> order to get org-protocol:// URLs working in emacsclient, and
>     Jim> eliminating that would be very nice.
>
> Thanks for the reference. Iʼve re-read the report, and the
> sort-of-consensus was that we needed '--apply' and a `set-arg'
> function.  Eli, would that be acceptable? (my patch called `apply'
> anyway, so itʼs not too big a change :-) )

That bug is again about these desktop files, and I'm _really_
uncomfortable with adding significant features on behalf of those.

If there's an important Org use case which could benefit from this,
let's discuss that instead, because each time someone mentions these
desktop files as a reason to make some change, my fingers
automatically want to type NOOO!!!