Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 23:17:17 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 10/03/2023 18:31, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> Apropos the infamous Gtk bug, I saw this piece of news I thought I
>> should share:
>> <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwayland/+/377104>.
>
> That might not give it an advantage over GTK still: over here, all
> applications
> survive Alt+F2 r RET in GNOME, including Emacs.
>
> What's (allegedly) a problem for Emacs, is the crash when the X server goes
> away. Not just the compositor.

That's a different kind of compositor.  Wayland compositors are also
display servers.

GTK can definitely not survive that; the only source of instability I
see in Emacs is GTK calling _exit () because of a Wayland connection
timeout while in some blocking code (such as in smtpmail).

I was considering trying to do a separation of UI and Elisp threads as a
solution, but, seeing this happen makes me think a Qt port is easier.

I'd still like opinions on the former idea, though.  It might be
worthwhile, but I am operating with little knowledge of that part of the
code-base, so I'm unsure if there's some deeper reason behind this not
being the case today.

Though, this still makes Emacs as a server not very resilient, sadly...

Have a lovely night.
--
Arsen Arsenović