Re: Indentation and gc

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 07:55:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
>> Cc: spacibba@aol.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:23:18 +0100
>>
>> > This can only be done around specific portions of code known in
>> > advance to be long and GC-intensive.  I don't think this kind of
>> > technique can be used in the situation described by the OP.
>>
>> This is at the end: My emacs simply has a ~25x higher gc threshold than
>> normal and allows more caching of process output.
>>
>> That helps a lot with lsp (language servers).
>
> The enlarged threshold should be carefully tuned to the user's Emacs
> usage patterns and to the amount of available virtual memory, to avoid
> applying too much memory pressure on the system, which could
> potentially lead to OOM killer doing its gruesome job.
>
> So, instead of advising random users to raise the GC threshold to
> levels that are (perhaps) suitable for your configuration and usage
> patterns, we should IMO teach them how to tune the threshold to
> theirs, and leave the setting to them.

That’s true …

Do we have a process to re-evaluate the current settings? Emacs modes
have been getting more complex in the past decades — also because modern
CPUs can execute them — so how can we see whether 800k are still the
right setting for gc-cons-threshold?

Another question would be whether enlarging the gc cons threshhold
during reading of the site and init file could be a default. It improves
startup times a lot.

Best wishes,
Arne
--