Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 14:31:18 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I was referring to your example in
>> https://old.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/bg85qm/garbage_collector_magic_hack/emk013p/,
>> if I understand it correctly.
>
> That was meant just to demonstrate what could happen in principle, not
> describe real-life uses that matter to most of us.  It even says so.
>
> IMO, having such synthetic examples in the manual won't help much,
> because people will reject them outright ("this can never happen to
> me").

Well. Currently, the paragraph reads like: we have 800kb default, but do
not increase it too much because Emacs will require more memory.

Given that modern computer typically have 4-16Gb RAM, the warning does
not look like an actual warning. 800kb is nothing. Surely, increasing it
to 80Mb to even few hundreds Mb is safe, right? Or not?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,