Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 08:56:10 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: m.eliachevitch@posteo.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 23:11:55 -0400
>
>   > jinx spell-checks the visible portion of the window.  I don't see why
>   > we would need that.  Suppose I scroll the window by 2 lines: why would
>   > I want the new visible portion to be spell-checked again, when the
>   > overlap with the last check is so large?
>
> You mean, it doesn't remember which part has already been checked?

It seems to rely on JIT font-lock mechanism to keep track of what was
already spell-checked.

But my point was not about efficiency, it was about the user
experience: why would I want to have the visible portion marked with
mis-spelling indications at all times?  This is not a natural way of
dealing with spelling mistakes.

And my main point was that if someone does want to have a mode or a
command to mark spelling mistakes in a visible portion of the buffer,
we can easily add that to the existing spell-checking commands and
modes.  No need to switch to a completely different implementation to
have that feature.