Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 16:02:52 +0300

> Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 13:43:05 +0100 (BST)
> From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.org.uk>
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > AFAIU, the IPC interface that is bypassed is the one between Emacs and
> > Enchant, implemented in ispell.el.  The IPC that is NOT bypassed is
> > the one between Enchant and the speller used as its back-end: Aspell
> > or Hunspell.
>
> With libenchant (and hence Jinx), both IPCs are avoided for most
> spellchecking providers (including Aspell, Hunspell, Nuspell).
>
> https://github.com/AbiWord/enchant/tree/master/providers

That's a two-edge sword: it means an Emacs built with that will be
wedded to a particular version of the speller.  I'm not sure this is a
good idea (but won't object to supporting such a build, if someone
wants that).

Spell-checking is an interactive process, which proceeds word by word,
and most of the time is taken by the user deciding which alternative
to choose.  So the speed of communicating with the spell-checker
should not by itself be an issue.