Re: treesit indentation "blinking"

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: treesit indentation "blinking"
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:59:40 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 00:21:18 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 02/04/2023 20:23, João Távora wrote:
> > So my initial idea was to tone down electric-indent-chars, at least
> > for the moment.  And Dmitry's idea was to make electric-indent-chars
> > be ambitious_only_  if electric-pair-mode is enabled (by the user).
> > Maybe we should bring back that idea, and it seems the least bad of the
> > bunch right now.

> Alternatively, we only perform "electric indent" (aside from after RET)
> when the parse tree does not contain errors.

That is NOT electric indentation.  The whole point about electric
indentation is for it to take effect whilst point is still on the line
being edited.  Thus, for example, you can see whether or not the line
needs breaking, or whether there's room for a short comment at the end
of the line.

What you're proposing is something which would almost never trigger,
since a line being edited will not have a parse tree without errors (if
I've understood that properly).  If it did trigger at some point, that
would likely cause annoyance and puzzlement.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).