Re: gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-MS_0

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-MS_002dWindows.html
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:58:56 +0200

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:24:57 +0200
Cc: Emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: David Hedlund <public@beloved.name>

Thanks, but resizing a frame doesn't make it fullscreen, does it?

That's correct. This will only make it convenient to avoid the "avoid the slightly distracting visual effect of
Emacs starting with its default frame size and then growing to fullscreen" -
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-MS_002dWindows.html
without having to "compute the correct values for width and height".
Does it really avoid the distraction?

Yes it does. I've tried it several times to make sure it really works. You can try it yourself on Windows.

Oh, I forgot to tell you: My solution only works for Windows, not GNU/Linux. So I understand if you got confused if you tried it in a distro.

The initial dimensions of the
frame are not its final dimensions, so some resizing does take place,
even with these customizations, doesn't it?