Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 14:55:24 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 13:25:54 +0200
>
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > Could be the intention was to abbreviate something like "flyspell mode
> > for programming" and that the name doesn't refer to `prog-mode' at all.
>
> Seems `flyspell-prog-mode' is even older than `prog-mode'.

Since flyspell-prog-mode just sets up a mechanism for skipping
user-defined words, I actually see no reason to have "prog" in that
name, none at all.  E.g., as already mentioned, text markup modes may
wish using that, and they have nothing to do with programming
languages.  Likewise, spell-checking some other formatted text, like
email messages.

It's a bad name, that's all.  The question is, can we come up with a
significantly better one, given the generality of the feature?