Re: Grammar checking

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Grammar checking
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:31:31 -0400

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 5:02 AM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >   >   But, would it be
> >   > acceptable for a GNU software project to depend on such software?
> >
> > If we have free software to do further training on the neural network,
> > we can accept it.
> >
> > Does LanguageTool use a neural network?
>
> No, according to [0] as of 2010 the approach they were using was
> rule-based, as opposed to statistical (neutral network).
>
> [0]
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marcin-Milkowski/publication/220282022_Developing_an_open-source_rule-based_proofreading_tool/links/5b030f720f7e9be94bdabb60/Developing-an-open-source-rule-based-proofreading-tool.pdf

2010 is a long time ago in terms of machine learning.  It's also
possible to construct a rule semantics that incorporates machine
learning.

There's this directory in languagetool's source code that appears to
provide infrastructure for using some RPC protocol for "MLServer"s:
https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/tree/master/languagetool-core/src/main/java/org/languagetool/rules/ml.
One common expansion of "ML" is "machine learning", so it's *possible*
that this provides infrastructure for consulting some machine learning
service.  Determining what it is actually used for, whether the RPC
services are local or remote, and whether it is used in the free
version or is simply infrastructure for the premium service, would
require much more investigation than I am willing to perform any time
soon.  Hence, I don't know.

Lynn