Re: How to install documentation in sub-directory with Package VC?

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: How to install documentation in sub-directory with Package VC?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 16:44:48 -0400

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023, 3:11 PM Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> wrote:
Why is :doc needed?  I think package-install simply runs makeinfo on all
texi files, but of course it can rely on them being at the top-level.
It might end up trying (and failing) to directly process gpl.texi and
similar.  But still, cannot package-vc simply do that too?

The value of :doc can also be an org file and we cannot just blindly try
to transcode *all* org files to texi.

Is there anything like the info top-level directory node for org files?

My draft of unboxed (package management) has a provision for handling info files found in an unpacked package, and dealing with texi files when there is no info file is straightforward.  I have no idea what to do with a random org file used for documenting a package to make it systematically accessible to the package's user.

Lynn