Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:13:02 +0300

> From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
> Cc: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>,
>  Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com>,
>  "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 01:07:32 +0200
>
> Strange that futur.el is "primarily concerned with making it easier to
> write asynchronous code" but limits itself to asynchronous processes
> only.

Async subprocesses are currently the only feature in Emacs that
provides an opportunity for writing asynchronous code.

> I do not know how useable threads in Emacs are at the moment,
> but they are already there and the examples I tried worked well.

If you think Lisp threads in Emacs allow asynchronous processing, you
are mistaken: they don't.  Only one such thread can be running at any
given time.  Whereas with async subprocesses, several such
subprocesses could be running at the same time each one doing its own
job (provided that your CPU has more than a single execution unit).