Re: Emacs 28.3 Release

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Emacs 28.3 Release
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:56:22 -0500

Hi all,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:31 AM lux <lx@shellcodes.org> wrote:

>     The main change in Emacs 28.3 is to fix known vulnerabilities. If
> urgency, I think also you can self-compile Emacs 28.3 or Emacs 29?

TL;DR:  Troy's request resinates with mine; this isn't something I'd
expect Troy can work around

In heavily controlled computing offices (my experience is financial
services, specifically) it's usual to restrict access to install and
run compilers.  Even some of my devs who are using visual studio can't
run gcc.  (There are tools like carbonblack that are used specifically
to detect users attempting to run unapproved software.)

Generally, in this type of environment, I'm able to get Emacs
available for download and use on "company-managed hardware" only by
providing a corp desktop support team with an installer.   That
installer is then used in a sandbox environment, various "security
scans" are run, and then (eventually, if we are lucky) the company's
internal software self-service catalog is updated to provide a
repackaged version of the vetted software.  Career-to-date, I've only
once had success at getting the desktop support team to actually
compile Emacs for me.  (It was a pre-release for Emacs 27.1, FTR.
That only worked because Emacs can build a Windows installer, which
that company required any internally distributed software to provide,
and because the engineer who picked up the ticket was into the idea of
playing around with GCC in the sandbox and had the ear of their boss:
this was well outside the normal duties for that team.)