Re: eglot's interface for major modes

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: eglot's interface for major modes
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:06:28 -0700

Sebastian Poeplau <sebastian.poeplau@mailbox.org> writes:

>>> The approach is probably inferior to the tree-sitter support for Ada
>>> that you and others are working on,
>>
>> Why do you think that? ada_language_server does some semantic analysis
>> (mostly name resolution), so the results are more precise than a syntax
>> parser like wisitoken or tree-sitter can provide. ada_language_server is
>> not incremental, but it's _very_ fast, so you have to have _very_ large
>> files to notice a delay while editing.
>
> My point was more about the out-of-process nature of language servers.
> Having to send JSON messages back and forth on every buffer change to
> support fontification seems less efficient than having a good in-process
> parser, even if the message format compresses the data like LSP does
> with semantic tokens.

Yes, LSP moves more electrons than the tree-sitter module interface. I
doubt the difference is measurable in battery life or watt-hours.

What matters most is that the response time be imperceptible in typical
use. In my limited use of ada-language-server via eglot, it is fast
enough (when it's not broken, which is often :().

--
-- Stephe