Re: [ELPA] New package: calibre.el

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: calibre.el
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 06:05:32 +0000

Kjartan Óli Águstsson <kjartanoli@outlook.com> writes:

> I am currently working on a package to interact with Calibre
> (https://calibre-ebook.com/).  The repository can be found here:
> https://git.disroot.org/kjartanoli/calibre.el.

Sounds interesting!

>                                                 Would there be any
> interest in adding it to GNU ELPA? And if so, is my copyright assignment
> for Emacs sufficient, or does ELPA require a separate assignment?

No separate assignment is necessary, as GNU ELPA packages are regarded
to be part of Emacs.

> This is my first attempt at writing an Emacs package, so I expect to
> have gotten many things wrong.  As such I would welcome reviews from
> people who know more about Elisp packaging.

The first thing to note is that you don't need a -pkg.el file.  ELPA
will generate one for you using the metadata in the main file and
overwrite whatever you have written.

This means you should copy the metadata to calibre.el.  Especially the
dependency list.  (Also, why do you depend on "29.1.0", a version which
is unreleased and has an additional ".0" at the end?  I guess you need
Emacs 29 because of SQLite?  Have you taken a look at emacsql?)

>From a brief skim of the code, it looks more or less fine.  There are
minor things I am not sure about (such as the usage of eieio or why you
declare some functions instead of requiring the file).