RE: [External] : emacs-29 additional key binding suggestions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : emacs-29 additional key binding suggestions
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:20:35 +0000

> emacs-29 adds `dired-do-eww' and `enriched-toggle-markup', but without
> any bindings.

Good.  New commands should generally _not_ be
bound to keys.  Time and experience will tell
whether some new command merits a key binding,
and possibly suggest the kind of binding to use.

> We could put the first one on the prefix arg
> to 'f' in dired-mode (ʼwʼ and 'W' are already
> taken),

Please don't.  At all.  Any user is free to bind
whatever commands s?he likes.  We should never
bind commands just to try to advertise the fact
that there is some new command.  We can aid
discovery in other ways, if that's the aim.

`C-h n' or Help > Emacs News is the usual way to
discover new features.

> and the latter on 'M-o t' in enriched-mode.

Likewise inappropriate.

Just one opinion, of course.