Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 00:19:00 +0300

On 18/04/2023 20:49, João Távora wrote:
But if that is impossible or impractical for some reason in this
particular case, then it simply means that users of Emacs 29 will be
unable to upgrade Eglot without also risking less stability due to
upgrading the dependencies.  Again, if you don't think this
"dependencies hell" is a Bad Thing in general, we will have to agree
to disagree.
No, it doesn't mean that, at all.  First, dependencies exist.  And here
it's not hell at all, not IME.  Secondly, stability is a matter of
expectations.  Eglot users_expect_  :core dependencies to be upgraded
when they request Eglot to be  upgraded.  That's the way it has always
worked for ~5 years.  And non-Eglot users_also_  expect that, because
installing any non-:core ELPA package that depends on :core packages
has_also_  always produced that behaviour for dependencies.

To my recollection, Eglot historically only raised the dependency versions when it needed to -- to bring in some required feature. Which is quite reasonable from my POV.

Although I see some very recent more bumps for xref and project there, those I didn't expect, but they probably follow the same logic.