Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:02:40 +0300

> From: John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:35:36 -0400
> Cc: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>, joaotavora@gmail.com,
> jporterbugs@gmail.com,
>       dmitry@gutov.dev, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Perhaps package.el should allow a user to declare whether (s)he wants
> a stable experience or a "rolling release" experience.  In that way the
> issue is no longer a function of whether a package is :core or not.

I agree.  But such a change in package.el was impossible when the
pretest already started.  It should, however, be a necessary feature
of package.el.

> My initial thought was that this would be a single, global toggle.  But I can
> also imagine more granular choices (stable, rolling or unspecified) per
> package archive and per individual package.

There's a lot of new turf here to be explored.  I hope we get it done
in time for Emacs 30.  But it wasn't a reasonable alternative for
Emacs 29, because this issue was raised too late, and I don't think it
would be TRT to delay Emacs 29.1 by another 6 months or so.