Re: New Git hooks for checking file names in commit messages

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: New Git hooks for checking file names in commit messages
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:50:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arsen Arsenović <arsen@aarsen.me>
>> Cc: acm@muc.de, jporterbugs@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 18:20:16 +0200

>> > We advise contributors not to rebase on public branches, only on their
>> > local ones.
>>
>> Sure, but using 'reset' implies that you can rebase, as otherwise you
>> couldn't reset to re-do the commits.
>
> No "git reset" doesn't rebase.

No, but it means that everything above the reset point is malleable, in
which case, you can use a rebase on it anyway (which can be reasoned
with as a hard reset with repeated patch application).

I'm trying to say that it's unnecessary to reset entire histories to
modify some words or formatting in commit messages.
--
Arsen Arsenović