Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 44ebd9cbd56 2/2: Eglot: explain how to update Eglot in manual (bug#62720)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:45:22 +0300

> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 03:52:48 +0300
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org, joaotavora@gmail.com
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> But that's the thing: upgrading to a recent version of Eglot is not only
> for the more advanced user. Those can easily go the 'M-x list-packages
> C-s eglot i x' route.
>
> It is those who do the minimum customization and/or are just introduced
> to Emacs, can miss out with more likelihood the longer the steps to
> upgrade Eglot are going to be.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: introducing a new
command for upgrading Eglot has the same problem as the original one:
users of Emacs 29 will need to use a different procedure for upgrading
Eglot than they used before.  So it doesn't solve any problems, only
introduces new ones.

It's a mistake that should be fixed while we still can.

> > Just thinking about introducing a command that we right-now plan to
> > deprecate by the next release is not something I look forward to.
>
> It would probably be deprecated only several major versions later.

It was deprecated the minute it was introduced.