Re: Bug?

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Bug?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 14:27:37 +0200

3 maj 2023 kl. 13.24 skrev Shynur Xie <one.last.kiss@outlook.com>:

>> Don't we have an existing suitable face to inherit from?
>
> Do you mean to inherit from those faces that set colors separately for
> light and dark backgrounds?

Yes, and it's much easier for the user to customise a single "highlight" face
than dozens of them. There is a face literally named "highlight"; would that
do? If so, maybe we don't even need a new face at all.

If you really want a new face that uses green text by default, something like

 (defface blink-matching-paren-offscreen
-  '((t :foreground "green"))
+  '((((class color) (background light))
+     :background "yellow")
+    (((class color) (background dark))
+     :foreground "green"))

would be an improvement. Full saturated green text pretty much requires a dark
background.

>> I also noticed that when the closing bracket is comprised of
>> multiple characters, only the first character is high-lit using that
>> face.
>
> That is the original behavior of `blink-matching-open' -- it only
> highlights the first character.  (What you expected is provided by
> `show-paren-mode'.)

Ah yes. In Emacs, there are always layers upon layers.