Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 12:32:00 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 08:46:53 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think it better did, because using "U" would upgrade Eglot and
> > use-package in Emacs 28 and before.  So we should give users who want
> > that the capability of keeping that workflow in Emacs 29, if only as
> > opt-in behavior.
>
> "Workflow" is really to high of a term for the problem being discussed
> here.  Installing packages is not a periodical thing people to on a
> regular basis.

Since we are talking about an optional feature, it will suit this
well, I think.  The target audience for this are those users who were
used to upgrade Eglot regularly when it was not a core package.
Likewise for other packages that would be brought into core in the
future.

> > Also, "/ u" should ideally show built-in packages as well, when
> > package-install-upgrade-built-in is non-nil.
>
> So the point here would be that a user who enables this option, regards
> any newer version of a core-package on ELPA as something that should be
> installed?

Yes.

> Perhaps this is a tangent, but what would happen if a third-party
> repository like MELPA adds a package with the same name as a core
> package?

This problem exists today already, with non-core packages.  Right?

> > Philip, can these two changes be implemented safely for Emacs 29?
>
> It certainly can be done.

I'd appreciate if you could show a patch that we could then consider.
TIA.