Re: Extending auth-source and plstore for more XOAUTH2 scenarios

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Extending auth-source and plstore for more XOAUTH2 scenarios
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 17:04:20 -0400

Hi Farblos,

Farblos <akfkqu.9df7rp@vodafonemail.de> writes:

> I've made some extensions to package auth-source and plstore to cover
> more XOAUTH2 scenarios.  My employer uses MS Office 365 with a device
> grant for the MUTT/Gnus/whatever outcasts, where you need additional
> URL parameters to refresh an access token.  Plus I store the access
> token *and* its expiry date in a plstore to avoid token refresh cycles
> as much as possible.

[...]

> So much for the bigger picture.  What do you think?

It would indeed be nice to have in GNU ELPA a package that has
configuration logic for IMAP/SMTP/POP3 OAuth 2.0.

I currently use the https://github.com/harishkrupo/oauth2ms Python
script for IMAP and SMTP XOAUTH2.  Have you seen it?  It's got excellent
documentation and the script has been solid.  However, I would prefer to
eliminate the external Python script and have a pure Elisp solution.  It
sounds like that's what you'd like to contribute, in which case, great!

Also have a look at url-http-oauth, which I just released to GNU ELPA
this week.  It provides OAuth 2.0 support for HTTP services, and uses
the auth-source netrc backend.  See if you may be able to make use of
parts of it.  I started with netrc support because that's what I use,
and because authinfo.gpg can be GPG-encrypted.  There's not much
netrc-specific though, so it might be worth trying with the plstore
backend if that's what you prefer.

Thomas