Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages (was: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New pack

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages (was: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: devil)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:51:51 -0700

On 5/15/2023 3:15 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

I think your guideline text is good.  It's quite clear, and readable
too.

But I'm confusd by this subsequent comment:

   > However, I also think it's important to show how you can
   > come up with a good compromise if you're a package author who just can't
   > let go of your fun package name. In my mind, showing in the
   > documentation how to compromise on this would go a long way towards
   > making package authors not feel like they're being micromanaged.

The last paragraph of your draft text, about goblin-functions,

   > Instead, I finally opt for a compromise: I'll still use "Goblin" when
   > documenting the package and prefix names in my code with "goblin-", but
   > I decide to submit it to GNU ELPA as "goblin-functions". While this
   > isn't as descriptive as "gobject", it does at least provide a hint to
   > the reader that this is a collection of functions (intended for other
   > Lisp authors, as opposed to end users).

seems to do that -- so why is a change needed?

I just want to adjust the emphasis of the text to gently nudge package maintainers to choose something as simple as possible like "gobject" if they can (or if they're willing). I think the final draft will be pretty close to how it is now, but with a couple extra sentences to add more detail.

I think goblin-gobjects might be a superior compromise.

That's a good idea. I'll change the text to use that name instead. Thanks.