Re: [GNU ELPA] New package: Urgrep

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] New package: Urgrep
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 13:23:18 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Since this is just an brief, internal comment in elpa-admin.el, I
>   > wouldn't be that concerned.  I believe it is justified to assume that
>   > everyone working on the script knows what this means.
>
> It is not unusual for people who don't kow the internals of a program
> to read its code to learn to understand it.  So how about changing
> those lines to make that learning easier?  Please give future
> maintainers a break!

I started working on ELPA about two years ago, and comments like these
were never an issue.  Of course in this individual case it can be
changed, but generally speaking I would consider the ability to
understand what a comment like this means a pre-requisite for being able
to hack on a file like elpa-admin.el, as it "proves" familiarity with
Elisp packaging and conventions around Emacs packages.

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding you, what exactly do you find confusing
about comments like these in general?

--
Philip Kaludercic