Re: Org breakage after rebuilding from Git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org breakage after rebuilding from Git
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 13:58:25 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
> Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 09:20:11 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Org version mismatch.  Make
> >> sure that correct ‘loa...")  (signal error ("Org version mismatch.
> >> Make sure that correct ‘loa..."))  (error "Org version mismatch.
> >> Make sure that correct `loa...")
> >
> > Remove all the *.elc files in lisp/org, then rebuild Emacs, and the
> > problem should go away.
>
> I've had this issue when building emacs, too, and you informed me that
> there's a fix in master for that.  And indeed, emacs now builds fine.

The fix was only for not breaking the Emacs build.  If you then load
Org without rebuilding all Org files, you will still get the error,
and AFAIU that's by design: the Org developers _want_ you to get that
error.

> However, my personal update script goes
>
>   1. cd ~/Repos/el/emacs/ && git pull && make
>   2. ~/Repos/el/emacs/src/emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs.d/init.el -f
> package-upgrade-all
>
> so now instead of failing in step 1 on org changes, I fail in step 2
> (probably because my init.el somehow loads org) which is not better.  Is
> the fix really about deferring the error from compile time to runtime?

Yes.  And not just from any "compile time", but specifically from
compile time during the Emacs build.

> That would help users who never ever load org, I guess, but even for
> sporadic users of small parts of it like me, it's actually worse.

The intent was to get Org out of the way of Emacs developers who build
Emacs many times a day, but not necessarily start Org.  The rest is by
design, and if you don't like the results, please take that up with
the Org developers, who decided on this design.  We in Emacs just
import Org's code.