Re: rmail and mime encoded patches annoyance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rmail and mime encoded patches annoyance
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 14:25:49 +0300

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 07:08:17 -0400
>
> Buffers aren't permanent.  I'd need to save the buffer to a file, to
> later re-open, and then send -- possibly also remove the file when
> done.  RMAIL already keeps tabs on what messages I've replied to or
> not, or have edited.  And I get all of that just in one go, when I
> edit a message.  I can label messages, and show only specific ones
> based on labels.
>
> Adding FCC/BCC is an extra additional step that is very easy to
> forget, which also involves actually sending your email, and fetching
> your email -- so a permanent network connection.
>
> All the suggestions are additional work, work which did not exist
> before MIME.  It is neither incremental, nor inuitive if you are
> already familiar with rmail-edit.

I see where you are coming from, but I'm using the facilities I
described all the time, and never had any problems with them.  OTOH,
what you are after doesn't exist.  So my suggestion is to change your
MO to use the facilities I described, because they are ready to be
used and quite convenient.

Of course, if you decide instead to extend rmail-edit to support your
use patterns, I'm sure we will be interested in considering your
changes for inclusion in rmail.el/rmailmm.el

TIA