Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 10:24:54 -0700

On 5/21/2023 3:21 AM, BTuin wrote:
Hello, I would like to propose a new package to integrate in Emacs,
"Builder".  It provides integration with build systems, to ease the
configuration and the compilation process, by automatically detecting
the build system and proposing relevant commands.

This loos interesting. I've actually been working (though not much lately) on a similar project by the name of "taco" (Tool Aware COmpilation[1]): https://github.com/jimporter/taco

I haven't had time to look over your project in detail, but I see a few main differences. The biggest one is that taco divides the build process into mostly-independent stages. For example, an Autotools project uses three stages: preconfigure (generate "configure" from "configure.ac"), configure (generate "Makefile" from "configure"), and build (run the Makefile). This way, other build configurators that generate Makefiles can just piggyback on the "Make" builder for the actual compilation.

[1] I'm sure I'd need to tweak this name to put it on GNU ELPA though (something like "taco-build" for the package identifier might make sense...)