Re: Font selection depending on the face weight

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Font selection depending on the face weight
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:00:24 +0200

    Nicolas> Hi,

    Nicolas> I stumbled upon a strange behaviour. With the IntelOne Mono font
[1],
    Nicolas> Emacs (Emacs 28.2 GUI on Linux) maps font faces as follows:

    Nicolas> '((t :font "IntelOne Mono-11" :weight light))      -> "Light"
    Nicolas> '((t :font "IntelOne Mono-11" :weight semi-light)) -> "Light"
    Nicolas> '((t :font "IntelOne Mono-11" :weight normal))     -> "Medium"
    Nicolas> '((t :font "IntelOne Mono-11" :weight medium))     -> "Medium"
    Nicolas> '((t :font "IntelOne Mono-11" :weight semi-bold))  -> "Bold"

    Nicolas> None of the Emacs weight maps to the "Normal" font weight (Light,
    Nicolas> Medium, Normal and Bold are the name of the weights as reported by
all
    Nicolas> other applications).

This has changed in emacs-29. From etc/NEWS:

*** Emacs now supports 'medium' fonts.
Emacs previously didn't distinguish between the 'regular'/'normal'
weight and the 'medium' weight, but it now also supports the (heavier)
'medium' weight.  However, this means that if you specify a weight of
'normal' and the font doesn't have this weight, Emacs won't find the
font spec.  In these cases, replacing ":weight 'normal" with ":weight
'medium" should fix the issue.

Would it be possible to check with emacs-29?

    Nicolas> From a quick search, Emacs uses font-weight-table to map numeric
font
    Nicolas> weights to symbolic weights, but I cannot find any link between
these
    Nicolas> numeric values and the weight names reported by other applications.

    Nicolas> Is there something I can do to control (or at least understand)
the way
    Nicolas> weights are mapped?

I once understood some of it, but Iʼve long since repressed that info
:-)

Robert