Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:35:49 -0400

  > I did some experiments in this area; I'm using some (private for now)
  > code to do something like that; it does some detection (e.g a ´cargo' or
  > a 'meson' project, 'autotools' project), and generates an alist per
  > project-type, which maps 'verbs' like 'build', 'run', 'test' to
  > project-type-specific commands, e.g. this specifies detection of a
  > rust project and the accompanying verbs.

Just to remind people, Cargo is not a model we should follow.
>From what I'm told, it is not merely a program to run locally,
like Make or ld, but a sort of server.

I think that means it leads people to do their building in someone
else's server, rather than on your own computer.  For moral reasons,
that is not good.

ISTR that Cargo has a catalog of libraries, some of them nonfree,
and that this makes it hard to build a Rust package and ensure
no nonfree library is used.

If I'm mistaken about any of this, please let me know.
In any case, we should make sure that whatever WE recommend
does not have these problems.