Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 16:09:03 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 11:53:29 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> Now you are ;-)
> >
> > No, I am not.
> >

> You asked specific questions, to which I provided specific answers.  If
> they were unclear, or if you have further questions, feel free to ask.

The answers were clear, but they didn't present any solutions to the
issues I brought up.  None of the tools I'm aware of, including
Cargo, support interactive selection of dependencies based on their
features and requirements, nor provide any decision support for the
kind of decisions I described.  They allow you to specify a version,
but leave the actual decision process to you.  And if that is the
case, why do I need them? I can easily build stuff myself once I've
figured out which versions of what dependencies I need.

And there's no need for you to work hard to try to represent the
problems as having their solutions.  Those build tools do not intend
to solve those problems, they don't even consider them problems.  They
"know better".  The facilities you described are nothing more than lip
service.