Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 19:23:35 +0000

For mandatory dependencies, the only important aspect is whether I'd need to upgrade libraries I already have to newer versions, and if so, whether those newer versions will cause compatibility problems with programs I have installed that use those libraries.

This is the misconception I pointed to in my previous post: Rust libraries are not dynamic libraries, they are compiled into the program. This eliminates all compatibility problems: you can have as many programs as you want on your computer, each one compiled with a different version of a given library. And the point of the crates.io repository is to ensure that all versions of all libraries will forever be available, to ensure that a Rust program that depends on a specific version of a library will remain compilable.

This is also something a typical package installation will not let me control: they will just upgrade the other programs as well, whether I want that or not.

This is a separate question, and I don't know which package manager you have in mind, but at least with Debian's package manager what you describe doesn't happen. You can always review what will be upgraded.