Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 17:16:25 -0400

  > This is the misconception I pointed to in my previous post: Rust libraries
  > are not dynamic libraries, they are compiled into the program.  This
  > eliminates all compatibility problems: you can have as many programs as
  > you want on your computer, each one compiled with a different version of a
  > given library.

I have trouble understanding that.  Before dynamic libraries, we used
static libraries.  Each library was a .o file, made by compilation.

But how can each program have its own version of one and the same
library?  Does Rust store all libraries as **source code**
and recompile each library each time that library is linked
into a program?

I don't know anything technically about Rust.  Others here may be in
the same boat with me.  So please explain the things you need us to
know.