[ELPA] New package: firefox-javascript-repl

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: [ELPA] New package: firefox-javascript-repl
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 10:57:40 -0400

Hi,

I just published a new package:

https://git.sr.ht/~fitzsim/firefox-javascript-repl/tree/main/item/firefox-javascript-repl.el

I think it may be useful to others, so I'm proposing it for GNU ELPA.

>From the commentary:

    REPL into a new Firefox instance's JavaScript engine.  A new
    throwaway Firefox profile directory is created before each run, so
    you won't need to modify your existing profiles.  This mode takes
    care of starting the new Firefox process in debugging mode, which
    may be tedious to do by hand.

    This `comint' mode is barebones and unstructured, meant for quick
    JavaScript experiments.  On newer versions of Emacs with
    `comint-indirect-buffer' support, syntax highlighting happens on
    the current statement.

    Paste each statement from `example.js' into the REPL to try it out.

I will try to keep the current base functionality working with the
latest Firefox and Firefox ESR releases.  Past attempts at such REPLs
like jsSlime have not kept up with the evolution of the Firefox Remote
Debugging Protocol.  I could not get skewer-mode or dap-mode working;
there was so much compatibility debugging that it made more sense to
write my own minimal REPL -- again, only for the purposes of quick
JavaScript experimentation.

Thomas