Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Ant
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 17:48:01 +0200

* Po Lu:

> I think I will look into providing modifier keys using the tool bar.

Thank you for the addition. They for sure make Emacs for Android (or handheld devices in general) much more comfortable to use.

The fact that having a modifier on temporarily overrides the text conversion style is very handy. I'd like to have modifiers on physical keys too, so I chose to re-use some of your functions:

(define-key local-function-key-map (kbd "<volume-up>") #'tool-bar-event-apply-meta-modifier)

(define-key local-function-key-map (kbd "<volume-down>") #'tool-bar-event-apply-control-modifier)

And it works good, except when I want both modifiers on: pressing <volume-up> and then <volume-down> is recognized as M-<volume-down>.  The tool-bar-apply-modifiers function does address this issue and in fact it is possible to activate multiple modifiers through the new tool bar feature, but I'm unable to dig further and try to make it fit with physical keys.

I just wanted to address this for everyone who wants to insert modifiers on Emacs for Android. And also, thank you again Po Lu for the addition.