Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 18:24:04 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> May you please provide a concrete example how running GC breaks things?
>
> I already did: see my description of compacting strings, relocating
> buffer text, and other stuff GC does.

But how exactly does, say, relocating buffer text can break things? May
you provide a pseudo-code example?

>> I am interested in specific details. The way you say it now is general
>> and sounds like "it is impossible and there is no point trying to do
>> anything".
>
> That's indeed what I want to say.  You cannot have true concurrency as
> long as Emacs Lisp programs use this huge global state.

Then the question is: can the global state be reduced?
May it be acceptable to have a limited concurrency where async threads
are only allowed to modify a portion of the global state?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,