Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:18:31 +0200

On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 08:51:48AM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Programs that use async threads avoid global variables like the
> > plague.  Emacs is full of them.
>
> That's not true.  Look at any modern Unix kernel, and their detailed
> locking around traditional Unix data structures, such as allproc, the
> run queue, the vnode cache, and et cetera.

The tendency, though, seems to be to avoid interlocking as much as possible
and use "transactional" data structures [1]. Which is an order of magnitude
more "interesting" :-)

But this is a kernel. I have the impression that this discussion has exploded
in scope, from taking the blocking out of "long" (network, external procs)
waits to fine-grained parallelism and multithreading.

I think the first makes sense in Emacs, the second... not so much. But that's
just one random opinion :-)

Cheers

[1]
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/paulmck/perfbook/perfbook.html