Moving point after character when clicking latter half of it

From: Moritz Maxeiner
Subject: Moving point after character when clicking latter half of it
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 23:01:12 +0200

I am using emacs gtk gui alongside other graphical text editors (left to right
text only).

In all of the ones I'm using (other than emacs), clicking with the mouse
on a character moves the point either in front of, or after that character,
depending on whether you clicked the left or right half of it.

In emacs, however, point seems to always be moved in front of the clicked
character,
regardless of where on it you click. It would be great if emacs could
(optionally) also
support the before/after behavior described above.

After delving into the code, it seems that this would need changes in C.
I have attached a proof of concept patch that changes emacs' behavior,
but it lacks an option mechanism. I also am not familiar enough
with what unintended consequences this change may have.

I am looking for feedback of whether this feature in general is something
that would be acceptable to have in emacs and if there are any pitfalls
this change may cause that I need to be aware of.

Best,
Moritz Maxeiner