Re: Async IO and queing process sentinels

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Async IO and queing process sentinels
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:12:51 +0200

> AFAIR, Michael Albinus (the maintainer of TRAMP) is working on better
> support for async processes in TRAMP. And he had troubles with managing
> async process queues as well.

Some years ago, I've tried to add threads to Tramp in order to unblock
it for remote file access. It worked somehow, but I couldn't fix the
problem to react on user input in a thread (for example, asking for
passwords and alike). So I have stopped this.

There were still problems that several operations could interfer each
other, when a Tramp file operation is interrupted by another Tramp file
operation due to timers, process sentinels, process filters and alike. I
have defended this in Tramp by suspending timers while accepting process
output. Sentinels and filters are less disturbing.

So I cannot offer something useful for the general case.

Best regards, Michael.