git commit message checker won't let me commit a new file.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: git commit message checker won't let me commit a new file.
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:23:00 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

I'm trying to commit a fix for bug #64642.  This involves adding a new
test file.

The commit message checker says "File
test/src/comp-resources/comp-test-funcs-dyn2.el: cannot be read: [No
such file or directory]
Commit aborted; please see the file CONTRIBUTE"

It would appear to reject the new file because it doesn't already exist
in the repository.  This is frustrating.

I can't be the first person to stumble over this problem.  Would
somebody please tell me the standard solution to it, if there is one.
I've looked in CONTRIBUTE and not found the topic discussed.  Otherwise
I will have to commit the files bypassing the commit message checks.

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).