Licensing issue: Emms has been offered support to read the metadata for

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Licensing issue: Emms has been offered support to read the metadata for SNES SPC files. OK with Emacs?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:11:04 -0400

Hello all,

A kind developer is offering a patch to Emms which would enable Emms to
read the metadata of a SNES SPC file.

Each SNES SPC file is a 64KB memory dump of the Super Nintendo
Entertainment System S-SMP chip's SRAM.

These files have been reverse engineered and a format has been published
on the web: http://www.snesmusic.org/files/spc_file_format.txt

However, Emms has a policy of supporting and promoting free audio
formats: https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/#Formats-and-Freedom

I personally have no appetite for it, but as the maintainer of Emms I
also want to serve the community.

Since Emms is installable from within Emacs via ELPA, I decided to ask
here.

Last, but not least, I am also a volunteer for the FSF GPL Compliance
Lab (have been for the past 17 years or so.) But I'm not wearing that
hat at the moment, and instead asking the Emacs developers their opinion
and preference.