Re: w32-notification-notify and HAVE_DBUS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32-notification-notify and HAVE_DBUS
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:18:18 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:28:22 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > OK, but still, D-Bus is required to have notifications-notify work,
> > right?
>
> Not only is D-Bus required, so is a Unix system with a desktop
> environment on the lines of GNOME.
>
> > You can tell them that they don't want w32-notification-notify when
> > D-Bus is available, since the latter is superior, AFAIU.
>
> D-Bus doesn't supply desktop notifications, it's just a remote procedure
> call system.  For desktop notifications to function, an X desktop
> environment is also required, and those aren't available on MS Windows.

So you are saying that notifications-notify will not work on
MS-Windows even if D-Bus is available?  in that case, if the conflicts
of symbols are resolved (but please verify that by actually building
such an Emacs), I'm okay with removing the D-Bus condition from the
cpp directive.  (But I still think this feature is not worth any
significant efforts to support it, and people who think it will give
them similar notifications to what users of Posix platforms have, they
will be very disappointed.)

Thanks.