Re: Emacs release cadence

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs release cadence
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:11:29 +0300

> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:14:22 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> And, btw, the last 3 major releases took 1.25 to 1.5 years, so already
> quite close to the 1-year mark.  Not 2 years, as you say.

Btw, if we want to make more frequent releases, we should start from
making sure each code change is accompanied by a suitable change to
our manuals.  The NEWS file on master is once again full of entries
with neither "---" nor "+++" markings, and going through all such
entries and documenting them (or deciding not to) is a job that takes
quite some time if delayed to before the first pretest.  I'd
appreciate if people who want to push for more frequent releases would
either work on documenting changes that their authors didn't, or at
least would remind those authors to maybe provide some documentation.

IOW, making our releases more frequent will take a serious effort from
everyone, otherwise it will simply not work for any number of good
reasons.