Re: Adding with-editor to Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding with-editor to Emacs?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 19:12:26 +0300

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 16:38:02 +0200
>
> I think the next step is to ask Eli and others, how they would want to
> integrate the library / the functionality it provides.

I'm probably missing something because if all we want is to allow
child processes to use the current Emacs session as their editor, we
just need to inject some environment variables into
process-environment when running those child processes, and start the
server.  Emacs knows very well where to find its corresponding
emacsclient.  Why is there a need for a separate library?

> As far as adding `server-window-alist' goes, that would certainly be
> a win.

If we want to extend server-window in some ways, that could be a
separate change.  It sounds like its utility is not necessarily
specific to with-editor or to its main feature of allowing
sub-processes use the parent Emacs as their editor.

(I couldn't find the beginning of this discussion, so maybe I missed
some of the relevant context, in which case I apologize.)